Monday, February 05, 2007

I never trusted the arcade fire. they're too much like a group of really cool drama club kids. and as I can attest firsthand there is no such thing as a cool member of the drama club. So given that, what's worse than having your high hopes for an album dashed in the glare of inappropriate cliches and bland arrangement? having to begrudgingly admit that a band you can't stand actually released a pretty fucking satisfying record. I could probably do a pretty good job of convincing myself this record is over-produced and the songs are obscured by a cluttered and unnecessary sonic palette. but the truth is it's been deftly and confidently put together. Funeral may have relied too heavily on the charm of juxtaposing Win Butler's tendency to write bombastic songs with an inevitably low budget production. But, more than likely because of the commercial success of said album, neon bible has the rich and unapologetically melodramatic voice that the arcade fire's music has begged for from the start. It's already been written, and probably will continue to garner not only critical acclaim, but numerous comparisons to the boss. It's true the gallop of songs like (television antichrist blues) call to mind born to run and even the slap echo treatment to Win Butler's vocals, which was present even on their debut, have gained a sort of nebraska-like quality to them. When listening to the spine-tingling veritable climax of the album, No Cars Go, I'm tempted to think something stupid like "maybe these guys are cooler than I thought". But then I realize that they're all canadian.

don't lose any sleep over screwing them out of their royalties (not that you would). these guys are going to clean up with this record.


The Arcade Fire-Neon Bible


I still don't like that smug bastard. look at his face. you can tell he's a jerk... However, I do like that when I typed arcade fire into google this came up:



If you've already downloaded the album, you may have discovered track nine, Windowsill, is missing. Sorry. I must have been distracted by all the triumph going on in this record. here. enjoy.

Windowsill

No comments: