Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Prop 8 passing is one thing. But the fact that essentially the same bans passed in Arizona and Florida AND that Arkansas now prohibits unmarried sexual partners (which is an underhanded and sleazy way of saying gay and lesbian couples) from ADOPTING CHILDREN is too much. Last night for the first time EVER in my life I felt a little bit proud to be from where I'm from. But to have so many people currently espousing the significance of tolerance and change and equality and vomiting up all this rhetoric about what a huge leap we've just made as a country and a people, to have so many of the same people walk into a voting booth and fundamentally legislate hate really puts a sour taste in my mouth. I'm trying to stay positive and be hopeful and I do recognize the far reaching positive effects this presidential election has the potential to have. But it's a little bit harder now to buy into it. Because I know, even if no one else does, that nobody is free until everybody is free.

No comments: